Rules and Regulations for GHA Membership
Article 1 – Purpose
The purpose of this document is to establish an application process for membership with the Global Hapkido Association and to establish standards of conduct for all GHA member schools and associations.
Article 2 – Definitions
For the purposes of this document, the following definitions apply:
1) Member Organization – This is a school, group, organization, federation, association or any other gathering of martial arts practitioners that are unified and identify themselves as members of the Global Hapkido Association, and are registered as members with the headquarters of the Global Hapkido Association.
(A) Example – A group of 10 schools in Canada may comprise an organization known as the Canadian Hapkido Federation. If these 10 schools decide to join and operate under the jurisdiction of the GHA but wish to retain their identity as the Canadian Hapkido Federation, then the Canadian Hapkido Federation would become a Member Organization of the GHA. They may also be given the name of “GHA – Canada”. At this time, GHA rules and regulations shall supersede all established rules and regulations of the Member Organization.
2) GHA Hapkido Instructor – Any person who operates a facility, school or classroom, the purpose of which is Hapkido instruction; or any person who instructs any number of students in the martial art of Hapkido, and who is considered the “head instructor” of that group.
(A) For the purposes of this document, the title of “hapkido instructor” does not apply to students who hold a Dan ranking, but are not considered the “head instructor” of their school or group.
Article 3 – Scope
These regulations shall apply to all persons or groups wishing to establish membership with the GHA.
Article 4 – Eligibility
All schools or groups of schools are eligible to apply for membership with the GHA, including:
1) Member Organizations consisting of two or more hapkido schools
2) Hapkido instructors who operate a private school in an area in which a Member Organization does not exist.
Article 5 – Application Process
Applicants are to fill out the attached application form in its entirety to the best of their ability and return it to the Headquarters of the GHA, along with any applicable fees and additional documentation listed in Appendix A of this document. The application and accompanying materials will be examined by members of the GHA Board of Directors, and a determination will be made whether or not to grant membership. The applicant will be notified of the determination within thirty (30) days from the date that GHA Headquarters receives the application materials.
Article 6 – Required Documents
All persons applying for GHA Membership are to submit the following documentation:
1) For Member Organizations:
(A) One application is to be submitted on behalf of the entire association. On this application, the box labeled “Member Organization” should be checked, and all pertinent information should be filled in. Additional documentation must be submitted in accordance with the directions on the application.
(B) Additionally, one application is to be submitted for each school or group operating under the Member Organization. On these applications, the box labeled “Member Organization Affiliated School” should be checked, and all pertinent information should be filled in.
(C) Each Dan-ranked individual within the Member Organization and its affiliated schools must submit an Application for Dan Certification along with all additional documentation and applicable fees if they wish to have their ranking recognized by the GHA. All rules and regulations for certification must be adhered to as dictated in the document titled “GHA Rules and Regulations for Dan Promotion”.
2) For Independent Hapkido Instructors & Schools:
(A) One application is to be submitted on behalf of the instructor and their school. On the application, the box labeled “Independent Instructor / School” should be checked, and all pertinent information should be filled in. Additional documentation must be submitted in accordance with the directions on the application.
(B) Each Dan-ranked individual within the independent school must submit an Application for Dan Certification along with all additional documentation and applicable fees if they wish to have their ranking recognized by the GHA. All rules and regulations for certification must be adhered to as dictated in the document titled “GHA Rules and Regulations for Dan Promotion”.
Article 7 – Responsibilities of GHA Members
All Member Organizations, schools, instructors, students, members and affiliates of the Global Hapkido Association shall adhere to the following basic responsibilities:
1) All members shall demonstrate the GHA core values of Respect, Honor, and Unity.
2) All members shall conduct themselves in their professional and community relationships in such a way as to reflect positively upon the GHA and its members.
3) All members shall show respect for martial artists of all styles and affiliation. No member shall ever publicly speak in a contemptuous manner about another martial art style or organization.
4) All members will strive to maintain a compassionate and peaceful demeanor, avoiding the violent use of hapkido techniques in confrontation whenever possible. Realizing that hapkido exists for the purpose of self-defense, all members shall endeavor to exercise restraint, pledging to utilize hapkido techniques only when no other option exists and to disengage from a violent confrontation at the first opportunity.
5) All members shall endeavor to exhibit the highest levels of technical proficiency, responsible care, and wear of the uniform, and respect for the training hall.
Article 8 – Disclaimer
The information contained in this document has been prepared and compiled in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Global Hapkido Association. The GHA reserves the right to change, amend, rescind or otherwise override the information contained in this document, in whole or in part, at any time. At no time is any GHA Member Organization, GHA Hapkido Instructor or any other member, representative or individual affiliated with the Global Hapkido Association permitted to enter into any agreement, contract or arrangement that contradicts the information contained in this document without the express written consent of the President of the Global Hapkido Association or a Designated GHA board member.